Search and Replace
- Version 2.9
- Added 8 Jun 2011
- Updated 4 Jun 2018
- Downloads 3620
- Requires version 5.0.8
- View Source
Click "Download Plugin" then click Open or Run to install
Searches for any text, age, or date values within the current project, and allows them to be replaced by new values, with an optional confirmation at each stage. On completion, all processed values are listed in a Result Set with links back to the record fields.
- V2.9: When a Media Linked File is replaced then similarly alter the actual Media File Path itself. Cater for FILE and FORM tags correctly.
- V2.8: New Select Records option for the Search Scope filter.
- V2.7: Format check & report for Import preset files, and other minor improvements.
- V2.6: Presets can be imported & exported. Initialisation progress bar for large projects.
- V2.5: Provides presets that allow multiple search & replace settings to be preserved for future use.
- V2.4: Supports FH V6 IUP 3.11.2 with Unicode and Place Records & Witness Roles.
- V2.3: New global Search Scope filter, and minor bug fixes.
- V2.2: Better support for Date Phrases.
- V2.1: Search and Replace allow tab & newline characters, simpler Major Options tab plus advanced Extra Filters tab, and improved search methods.
- V2.0: New options to choose fields plus other settings, Search ONLY mode added, complete makeover including sticky settings and online Help & Advice.
- V1.7: Add Date and Text Field Name related search & replace capability.
- V1.6: Add Data Reference details to the replace prompt for the context of the field being changed.
- V1.5: General Code Tidy (not published).
- V1.4: Add Whole Words search and Plain Text search to inhibit Lua Pattern characters.
- V1.3: Add Case Insensitive searching and Cancel or Close the window will abort the replaces, while still listing the changes made.
- V1.2: Change to provide a Skip button. Click the Close button on the window to cancel.
- V1.1: Add Skip box which can be selected to skip over a change and a Result Set which is shown at the end of all the items changed.
Rating: Not Rated
+ Add Comment and optionally Rate the Plugin
Great plugin! I'm sure I'll be using this often.
Stuart Ashton, July 22, 2011 at 3:44 pm
Could do with text display width's being bigger, or sticky plus option to autocomplete after seeing first few done correctly
John Morrison, July 22, 2011 at 4:52 pm
Great idea for a plugin! Several times over the years I've edited the gedcom directly - mainly to improve the consistency of my data entry.
I'd suggest some further development as I find it difficult to relate the plugin settings to the gedcom or what the user already sees in FH. As examples, what are the settings that would restrict the search & replace to (a) "Where within Source", (b) notes, (c) "Text within Source"? I'd suggest adopting the FH field names in the plugin would surely make it more user friendly and less prone to a user making incorrect edits.
Dave Harris, November 11, 2011 at 9:54 am
It is good to have a text editor however this one has a weakness common to many other text editors. That is that it won't recognise whole words, so trying to change road for Road produces every conceivable entry for road including Broad, Broadway, Broadwinser etc. and suggests changing them to BRoad etc. It would be really excellent if a control could be added to search for whole words only which would considerably reduce the time to skip all the eroneous search results
robert jordan, March 27, 2012 at 8:51 am
problem with whole word replacement now incorporated so it deserves 5 star rating
robert jordan, May 1, 2012 at 4:16 pm
Works a treat and such a time saver. Thanks.
Salopian1, August 9, 2013 at 1:19 pm