February 24th, 2016 – Calico Pie today announced the release of Family Historian 6.1 – a free upgrade for version 6 users, and the largest free upgrade of the program for more than 10 years.
“There are a number of themes in this release”, explained Calico Pie’s CEO Simon Orde. “Much of it is responding to a long list of requests from our users for detailed improvements of varying kinds. We know that often it’s the small things that make all the difference in terms of usability and we’ve worked hard on getting the details right. But there are some great new features too, like the new Snapshot Manager. We’ve also had genealogists coming to Family Historian from other programs, asking for specific things they need – and we’ve responded to many of these requests too. That means not just improved import, although that is a big part of it, but also feature enhancements. For example, we’ve improved sentence-generation for narrative reports in response to requests from users of The Master Genealogist. We also improved handling of source citation media – primarily in response to requests from Family Tree Maker users. You could see it as a sort of cross-fertilisation, as new users bring influences from other programs. We see that as a very positive thing, and one that has benefitted the program as a whole.”
What’s New in 6.1
For full details of new features and enhancements, please see What’s New in Version 6.1.
Summary of New and Improved Features
• A new feature called Smart GEDCOM Loading has been added, which delivers big improvements in GEDCOM imports – especially from Family Tree Maker and Ancestry GEDCOM files. The same feature can even be used to recover hidden data in existing Family Historian projects that were previously created by imports from Family Tree Maker or Ancestry.
• Improvements to direct import from The Master Genealogist and Genbox.
• Much improved support for Source Citation media.
• Numerous enhancements to support for witnesses (‘shared events’), including the ability to have multiple roles for witnesses and principals, and to effectively have ‘no-principal’ or ‘multi-principal’ events.
• Improved support for generating sentences in narrative reports.
• You can now add source citations for parent-child relationships (birth or adoptive), as well as spouse relationships.
• Tool to automatically find, and fix links to, missing pictures and other media files.
• A new tool that can automatically take and store daily snapshots of your entire data file, so that you can easily revert to an earlier version if you need to (this is in addition to full multi-level undo/redo within each session). By default, only the 8 most recent snapshots are kept, to ensure that space taken by snapshots never becomes excessive.
• Improved compatibility with companion products, including the option to save Family Historian data files in the popular UTF-8 format.
• And much more…
How to Upgrade to 6.1
All version 6.0 users are recommended to upgrade to 6.1. To do so, click Check for Updates on the Help menu, when running Family Historian, and follow the instructions. Alternatively, the upgrade can be downloaded from the Latest Free Upgrade page.