Current version is 6.2.6
- Access to the Findmypast hinting service has been improved and made more robust.
- The thumbnail cache is now excluded from backups. There is no need for it to be backed-up as it is re-generated on demand; and without it, backups are faster and smaller.
- Family Historian no longer makes any assumptions about how Ancestry and Family Tree Maker handle line-breaks in GEDCOM files (Family Tree Maker changed the way it handles them recently).
- When importing from Family Tree Maker, the information about which picture is the preferred picture, is now included in the import.
- Future-proofing and robustness features have been added.
- Some minor bugs have been fixed.
- Emulation for the Mac and Linux has been improved (to enable this, click ‘Tools’ and then ‘Preferences’; then click the ‘Advanced’ button on the ‘General’ tab, and tick ‘Emulator Compatibility Mode’). These enhancements remove many of the previous limitations of running Family Historian under an emulator on the Mac or Linux. However there are still a few known limitations: (a) PDF support is still not enabled; (b) Fan Charts still don’t work; (c) Some form windows may display with caption bar only, the first time you open them. If you close and re-open them, thereafter they should be OK; (d) Links to FindMyPast may not work if you use the option to display the linked page in the Web Search window. You are recommended to use an external browser instead (this is a Preferences option).
- Adds new functionality to ensure the continued operation of the automatic geocoding feature, following changes by service providers. Also adds future-proofing and robustness improvements.
- Adds a new option (checked by default) to automatically save changes on close, without prompting, if autosave is enabled.
- Improves preservation of record ids on import. Previously, when a GEDCOM file is imported, if a record of one type had to be renumbered, all records would be renumbered. Now record ids are preserved as much as possible, and renumbering only happens for those record types where it is needed.
- Adds new functionality to ensure the continued operation of the automatic geocoding feature, following changes by service providers.
- Adds improved support for PDF creation.
- Fixes problems where (usually following an import from another program) picture types were not being identified correctly.
- Adds an alternative mechanism for opening the Accent popup window which can be chosen in Preferences (General tab). The default way to open the Accent popup window is to press-and-hold a letter key when editing a note. For example, if you press-and-hold the ‘e’ key, a popup window will appear showing accents for the letter ‘e’. The alternative method (if enabled) is to press-and-hold the Insert key and then press the letter key. You can enable the alternative method in the General tab of Preferences.
Note: A planned 6.2.3 release was replaced by 6.2.4 when 6.2.3 was discovered to include a bug which prevented a small number of users from opening their projects.
- Adds faster application startup
- Improves auto-completion of place names
- Fixes a number of minor issues
- Fixes issues with checking for updates
- Fixes problem with importing GEDCOM files with extremely long lines
- Fixes a number of minor issues
- Adds support for Findmypast web hints (to learn more about these features see Automatic Internet Data Matching).
- Improves appearance of hint popups, in the Focus Window